Did you know that the air in an average home can cause allergies, asthma, even heart disease? What goes into creating a cleaner, greener and safer home? Look no further than Healthy Home 2010.
Located in Palatine, Illinois, this design showhouse was built to educate and demonstrate how to create healthier living environments. The KOHLER Store, along with non-profit organization Healthy Child Healthy World, brought this wonderful home to life, assembling an invaluable resource for parents so they can make responsible decisions, simple everyday choices, and well-informed lifestyle improvements to create a safer environment for their family.
Healthy Home is conceived upon scientific studies and documented factors to create a healthy space inside and out. You don’t need to build a new home to make a difference–you can begin today by taking simple steps:
- Problem: Over 85% of the dirt in our homes is carried in on our shoes and the paws of our pets.
Solution: Take off your shoes when you enter the home. Installing a utility sink in the mudroom is a great way to wash up before entering.
- Problem: Many household cleaners contaminate the air and water—cleaning can actually introduce more harmful chemicals into the environment.
Solution: Use green cleaning products and install fixtures that don’t require harsh chemicals for maintenance. The Healthy Home boasts Kohler Cast Iron sinks and fixtures made from 93% reclaimed or recycled iron, and the hard enamel finish is easily cleaned with soap and water – no harsh chemical cleansers needed.
- Problem: Due to modern-day insulation techniques, indoor air quality is now worse than the air we breathe outdoors.
Solution: Open your windows. Air out your home. As cold or rainy seasons approach, consider adding houseplants to cleanse the air.
- Problem: Clean drinking water is becoming scarce—less than 1% of the world’s water supply is available for consumption.
Solution: Conserve water! The Healthy Home uses Kohler WaterSense labeled toilets, faucets and showerheads, offering up to 30% water savings.
- Problem: Conventional paints can make indoor air quality 1000 times worse immediately after painting.
Solution: Use low-VOC paints. VOC’s, or volatile organic compounds, are present in many materials and are one of the most common indoor air contaminants. When shopping for paint, make sure you choose the label that specifies “non-emitting”.
Healthy Home 2010 is re-opening by popular demand from November 6 – November 21, 2010, 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM daily, except Monday and Tuesday. The KOHLER Store invites you to be our guest with a complimentary tour by mentioning this blog.
The cast bronze Katagami sink is a great choice for a healthy home, as not only is the material renewable, but it’s also hygienic, as the alloy contains copper which has natural antimicrobial properties.